Memories are made of These

Jesus Last Seven expressions


1                     Father forgive them, for they know not what they do (Luke 23:34).

(This first saying of Jesus upon the cross was Jesus' prayer for forgiveness for those who were crucifying him: the Roman soldiers, and apparently for all others who were involved in his crucifixion)

2                     Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise (Luke 23:43).

(According to Luke's Gospel, Jesus was crucified between two thieves, one of whom supports Jesus' innocence and asks him to remember him when he comes into his kingdom. Jesus replies, "Truly, I say to you..."   followed with the only appearance of the word "paradise" in the Gospels)

3                     Woman, behold your son: behold your mother (John 19:26-27).
(Jesus saw his own mother, and the disciple standing near whom he loved, he said to his mother, "Woman, behold your son". Then he said to the disciple, "Behold your mother". And from that hour, he took his mother into his family. Jesus entrusts Mary, his mother, into the care of a disciple.)

4                     My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?, (Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34).

(Around the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, saying "Eli Eli lama sabachthani?" which is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?")

5                     I thirst (John 19:28).

(He said, "I thirst".)

6                     It is finished (John 19:30).

(Jesus said, "It is finished".)

7                     Father, into your hands I commit my spirit (Luke 23:46).

(And speaking in a loud voice, Jesus said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit".)