Memories are made of These

The following challenge was thrown by TC on Nov 3, 2010
"TC: Good read of the night. "Will you do my eulogy?" I wonder will YOU do my eulogy? And how will it be?"



































An Eulogy: “Funeral For A Friend" .... 1st an Intro:
 
This is the final copy and is a replacement of the previous eulogy "Here Lies TC..." , designed to trigger a response to the challenge (it was deleted due to zero response from the recipient). Whilst writing this eulogy, I realized that writing an eulogy was not a piece of cake or walk in the ballpark. You have to be emotionally involved with the subject which would thus bring-out the best of what needs to be said and give a realistic portrayal of our friend and sadly also brings to an end further communication with this chapter of FB.


The following is the Final Count-Down of ..... :


An Eulogy: “Funeral For A Friend"  >

Wonder why there were no takers for this challenge … cultural taboos ? … not sure. But let me give my 2 cents worth. I invited Elton John for this memorial service to sing “Goodbye Norma Jean” but he was unable to make it. This Eulogy starts at the end of Sandy Posey’s rendition of her hit song “Single Girl”.


Dear friends, Theresa has gone through hell & high waters in her life but how many of us were there with her to share her pains or give a helping hand when she needed one. Even as recently as when she got her VIVAcious Black Beauty and was in a quandary as to how to get her moving … did any of us give a helping hand or a word of encouragement. Hahaha … no worries .. I know for sure many ... many of you, in fact all who have come to know Theresa, would have walked the extra mile for her, and she will be negotiating with God that all her graces that she has already earned, be used as showers of blessings on all of you … so relax my friends as no fire & brimstone is going to rain on you.

Dying is not easy for anyone because of the pain & suffering caused by the loss & separation. We can choose to live well and we can choose to die well, but dying well is a life long process. Theresa has lived life to the fullest and has enjoyed every moment of her life by bringing joy & laughter to others. Who am I … I am a slumdog from the Dalit caste & have known Theresa for the past 7 months. We have shared many a meals together and every other session lasted many hours because of the provocative questions that Theresa likes to dabble in. Questions like “Who am I & what I stand for in the face of the demands of a Christian”; “ Why is there so much of evil in the world “; “ Where was God when I went through hell with my throat infection “; “ What did Jesus mean when he said ……. “ and the list goes on and on.

When you share a meal with Theresa  you don’t plough through the dishes when it arrives as Theresa  will demand that we say the “Grace before meals”. And her prayer goes like this “Thank you Father for this food that we have received from You and I pray Lord that you will bless each & everyone who was involved in the preparation of this food for us. And we also ask you Lord to Bless & provide food & drinks for all those who do not have them at this moment and this day”… and she will continue with prayers for those in need especially the sick. So it’s a long wait before we can pick-up the fork & spoon & dig-in.

Although Theresa’s ‘living years’ were short, she has lived her life to the brim, not only seeking joy for herself through her travels & hosting couch surfers, but also caring for the sick, the bedridden, the aged & the dying via her contributions to aid agencies etc. When she is unable to channel her funds for a tragedy (Tsunami-earthquakes etc) she will ask me whether there was any special collection being made in my church for the victims of these disasters & will give GENEROUSLY if there was a special collection. When we talk of Theresa we are talking about a heart that is not well known by many. I would be given a tongue lashing or pelted with stones if Theresa was around today as she would never agree with me on revealing her good deeds. Within all these sadness & shattered emotions, the only joy that we can derive for sure, is that on judgment day, our Lord Jesus Christ will turn to His right and say to Theresa, “Well done Theresa, you have served my people well. Enter the narrow gate & meet-up with Mother Theresa & the rest of the angels ”.

For me personally, the impression that this lady has created on me and the deadly silence that will ensue because of the passing-on of a dear friend, a wonderful & sincere person, a “Pretty Woman” is a heart wrenching episode. I feel like as though my heart has been wrenched out of my body and I am witnessing my own funeral. Believe me ... having known Theresa & having shared with her sincerely & honestly, it is painful …. Very, Very painful to see her go at such a tender age…. And thus, this will also become my last entry in FB, in this chapter of my dear friend (Stoic?) as I continue to hear “The sounds of silence”.


(The procession starts to the strains of Yo-Yo Ma’s rendition of Eric Clapton’s “ Would You Know My Name, If I Saw You In Heaven “ )

November 27 at 11:37am • Like






View My Stats
***********************************************************************************************************************